Friday, May 31, 2013

Stupid

I've written probably 1,000 blogs - all in my head. And in my car while listening to NPR. And during data meetings. And while watching the news. And while lurking on twitter. And . . . 


Here's the truth, I've always been opinionated. It started as a child when Scott Westindorf punched me in the stomach for telling him that he couldn't fly like superman, even with a cape. I'm sure I used the s-word (stupid) to describe his idea. I hope I backed my opinion up with some evidence beyond how stupid it was to try, but since I was probably eight at the time - I doubt it. Or didn't get the chance, because I couldn't breathe at the moment.

In eighth grade as a new kid in a suburban school,  I told the most popular kid at school the week before school let out for the summer that trying to bounce superballs over the school was . . . you guessed it - stupid. With one comment I committed myself to a summer of isolation. Thank God for the Beatles, a turntable, a killer stereo system and my own room.

I was the editorial page editor my senior year at a large Midwestern university. The daily circulation of the paper was over 30,000. Enough said. 

So I've established a couple of things. First, I should never use the word stupid. Second, I have thoughts and opinions and am not afraid to make them known. Or so it would seem.

The truth is that I was afraid. I've read hundreds more blogs than I've written in my head, but rarely commented. I've "lurked" on twitter and connected with some amazing, inspirational people, but only inconsistently entered into conversations. I didn't want to say anything stupid. 

That is until today, when I decided to get back out there and connect with the world in an exchange of ideas about what I am most passionate about - transforming education and myself as an educator. I've lurked on twitter long enough. I've read enough blogs to know their power for connecting, communicating, learning and, most importantly, sharing thoughts and opinions. The time has come to interject some of my own.

Even if they're stupid.


3 comments:

  1. Wow, Paul! Other than the getting punched by Scott part, you could have been describing me. Okay - I was also not the editorial page editor (but did attend a midwestern university), or listen to the Beatles - but all the rest of the stuff - dead on. I always think that what I have to say isn't prolific/inspiring/genius enough to put out there, so I stay comfortably in the lurking lane. You've given me some motivation to take that risk. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be stupid for you to not share (I am not scared to use the word ;)Welcome to the edublogosphere :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, William, I know I'm in good company.

      Delete